The following are beliefs that we feel our partners need to be in basic agreement upon. In our understanding they are the foundational and core beliefs of Christianity.
At Bridges Community Church we believe:
- We believe in the one, true, eternal, and almighty God, who created everything, seen and unseen. (Genesis 1:1) We believe that mankind is distinctively different from all the other living creatures, in that it possesses an eternal soul that will continue to live after the body dies. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the only Son of God and that He and the Father are one God (Matthew 26:63-65), We believe that He is the Savior of mankind; who died upon the cross and rose from the dead to pay the price for our sins. He did this so that we might have peace with God and eternal life. (John 3:16) We believe that Jesus was not created by God but always existed with God before time began. We believe Jesus Christ came to this earth, was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, and lived a sinless life. We believe He is alive today and forevermore. (I Corinthians 15:3-8)
- We believe in the Holy Spirit of God. (John 14:15-17) He is our abiding comforter, convictor, and counselor to all that repent of their sins and believe upon Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:39) We believe the Holy Spirit dwells within every believer’s spirit from the point of conversion, but that God also eager to refill believers with His Holy Spirit repeatedly as they seek and ask for such (Acts 4:31).
- We believe that the Spirit of God gives spiritual gifts and talents to believers in order to equip and edify the church. (I Corinthians 12:7-11) We believe that Christians have a part to play in seeking and desiring the best gifts, but that God also grants certian spiritual gifts to individuals as He wills (1 Corinthians 12:28-31).
- We believe that Salvation is a gift from God, through faith in Jesus Christ. This gift of eternal life is not based on one’s own good works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We believe that those who repent of their sins and put their faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins shall be saved from hell and granted eternal life in Heaven.
- We believe that repentance and faith go hand in hand (Acts 20:21). We believe that repentance is turning from evil and turning to God. We believe that repentance and faith are a one time decision and an ongoing way of life.
- We believe that hell, Satan, and his demons are real. Satan is on the move today seeking to deceive and destroy mankind (I Peter 5:8-9). Be believe that as Christians we can take authority over him through Jesus Christ (James 4:7).
- We believe that the original manuscripts of the Old Testament and New Testament are the true and living Word of God. These manuscripts are the foundation for all that we believe and do. (II Timothy 3:16) We believe in taking the Word of God at face value in order to understand what the Lord is truly saying to us unless allegories, types, or symbolism’s are made obvious, as in the book of Revelation.